Wednesday, April 30, 2008

>Is this the best time for a volleyball change?

In the past five years, IPFW has experienced many changes including an influx of young coaches. Since the fall of 2002, when the program became fully Division I certified, only four coaches have left the school.

That low number leaves me expectant that will change in coming years. The biggest and most important change that could come in that area is the retirement of Arnie Ball, whenever that may occur.

When it comes to coaches at IPFW, mens volleyball coaches nationwide and pretty much coaching in general, Arnie Ball is in a certain class of his own.

When you have been at a school for almost 30 years and are one of the winningest coaches in your sport, there is never a “right time” to walk away. But the fact is that eventually, Arnie will choose to do so. And when he does, I pray that it is the right way because Arnie Ball is the epitome of IPFW athletics and should always be remembered that way.

There has always been talk of who would replace Arnie when he retires from the sport he has helped define. Will it be son Lloy when he retires from professional and Olympic play? How about assistant Ryan Perrotte, who seems like he has been groomed well for the replacement?

But most importantly, when is the best time? As I said before, there is no right time. So when would it be best to hand over the reigns?

And as much as I respect and like Coach Ball (and as much as he’ll adimently disagree with my next assessment), I believe that this is the best time to leave IPFW in the capable hands of either replacment. Though, I am all for Ryan Perrotte.

Coach and I have had some disagreements over the years, so I expect him to yell at me for this, I really do. But it is nothing personal. Hell, if I had what I considered a family in IPFW athletics after covering them for six years, Arnie would easily be the dad.

Coach and I have had some disagreements over the years, so I expect him to yell at me for this, I really do. But it is nothing personal. Hell, if I had what I considered a family in IPFW athletics after covering them for six years, Arnie would easily be the dad.

But think about this:

Coach Ball is fresh off of back-to-back Final Four appearances, the school’s first National Runner-Up finish, a 2007 AVCA Coach of the Year honor and saying goodbye to seven seniors (the most for IPFW in quite sometime).

As it stands now, there will be just two seniors in 2009. The team is quite young with only two starters returning. And those who are still around have quite the relationship with Perrotte. The next couple of years will be a rebuilding time for the mens volleyball program. I think it could be best to let someone else rebuild. No, Arnie would not be going out on top, and I know he wants to win a National title pretty damn bad. But this may be the closest to going out on top that he may ever get.

I’m not saying I want Arnie to leave. On the contrary, I would love for him to stay forever. And coach, if I still have you reading my articles all these years later, let me say that I have truly enjoyed every second of covering you, talking to and interviewing you. I really do hope that you continue to coach at IPFW forever. Because as long as you coach, I will definantly be in the stands watching you do it.

Since I won’t be here when he does hang up the clipboard, I do truly hope that IPFW gives Arnie the caring and emotional parting that he deserves. Because when it does happen, Mastodon athletics will never be the same again.

(this column originally appeared in the IPFW Communicator on April 30, 2008)

No comments: