Tuesday, November 5, 2013

College Basketball Preview Part 5: The Top Ten

Here is the hypocrisy of college basketball. Kentucky is almost universally considered the number one team in college basketball. As I touched on a couple weeks back in the very first part of my preview, that just sucks.

But I will not follow the trend. 6 McDonalds All-Americans is impressive for sure, but what is more impressive is tested talent. And that is what paves the way for the official In All Directions Preseason Top 10.

1. Michigan State
There is no doubt that Tom Izzo has the best core of returnees in the country. I will take Keith Appling and Gary Harris over any backcourt in the country almost any day of the week.

2. Duke
Depth. Depth. Depth. As I will expand on later, this team has a bench for days. Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood make the headlines, but my money to make this team their best is inspired play from Quinn Cook.

3. Kentucky
See, I am not a total hater, I will give the Wildcats their due because their freshman class in intriguing, just not sensational yet. But again, while all eyes are on Julius Randle, I am looking out for a breakout year from Alex Poythress.

4. Louisville
This is a tough one for me because I really think the defending champs lost a lot in Peyton Siva and Gorgui Dieng, but Russ Smith may be one of the toughest guys in the game to guard. And who won’t like the Kevin Ware storyline this year?

5. Arizona
Aaron Gordon has a huge upside and Duquense transfer T.J. McConnell is better than it sounds of the surface. How good the rest of the PAC-12 is will dictate Arizona’s long term potential, but look for them to stay hot for a while.


6. Florida
Billy Donovan has depth too and that is all he has ever really needed. He doesn’t have breakout players like his title run years, but Florida stays strong and they should power through the SEC.

7. Michigan
This is a team who really surprised me after their National Title loss. I really felt like it was all or nothing on turning pro, but instead they split. Glenn Robinson III should move into little Tim Hardaway’s spot, Mitch McGary could be the nation’s best big and I, for one, want to see what Spike Albrecht can follow up his great title game with.

8. Kansas
Yes, they have Andrew Wiggins. But what do they have around him? Skill and talent? Sure, this is Kansas after all, not NJIT. They are young, they will have a shot to win the Big 12, but I don’t expect them to be a big threat come March.

9. Oklahoma State
Not many teams can claim to have a sure top-10 NBA Draft pick back. The Cowboys can. Marcus Smart is dynamic, will be one of the very best players in the country and their team experience will drive them well throughout the season.

10. North Carolina
I am going to go ahead and give this spot to the Tar Heels. James Michael McAdoo may be an All-American and if PJ Hairston can get back and not be stupid, the Tar Heels can contend with almost anyone in the country blow for blow.


Don’t sleep on: Creighton, VCU or Marquette.

No comments: