Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The rise of IPFW: Part 5

Now former IPFW athletic director, Tommy Bell did not waste any time in naming Dane Fife’s replacement. But this time, the decision wasn’t ludicrous to me. We didn’t need months of build up, months of searching: Tony Jasick was the right man at the right time for IPFW.

Jasick is part of what Dane Fife did so right when he blew up the dark years and brought on the new dawn of the program. Jeff Tungate, Jermaine Kimbrough, Tony Jasick: all terrific hires that Fife made. While time will still tell, Jasick may have been the best. He was young, he was hungry, he had a diverse background already coaching at North Alabama, Newberry College and most recently Middle Tennessee State. Tony Jasick was a diamond in the rough and he took on his role at IPFW at full throttle.

For the program to continue what Dane Fife started, Tony Jasick had to be the guy. The day I found out that Dane Fife was leaving, casually and not for any story, I text a former player of mine, Justin Jordan. Justin, who played locally at North Side High School and then at St. Louis, had transferred to IPFW to play for Fife. Fife and Jasick recruited Justin hard in high school, so getting him as a transfer is something I knew they hung their hat on. Like he had for me, I know Dane Fife had grown on Justin, hence the transfer, but what became apparent in that short conversation with JJ was that for all Fife was, Jasick was absolutely the perfect evolution for the program. I don’t know that I have ever heard Justin as jazzed about anything as he was about playing for Tony Jasick.


The praise from one of his future players was clearly justified. In his first year, Jasick took a step back from where IPFW had been but that was expected. He still won 11 games and competed in a tough Summit League. A year later, he improved to 16-17. Through 19 total games this year, he sits just two wins away from tying that mark. Considering he’s already led the Dons past conference favorite North Dakota State, that doesn’t seem like a very big hill to climb.

As of the time I write this, Jasick has won 41 games at IPFW over his two and a half seasons. That is the fourth most ever for an IPFW men’s basketball coach. If his coaching career ended today, only one coach in the program would have a better IPFW career winning percentage.

It has been years since I have been to an IPFW men’s basketball game. There is a disconnect between me now and what I know about the program on a deep level. Both of those are unfortunate because I used to live on knowledge about IPFW basketball, whether out of want or need. But it makes me smile every time I see them win, because they all did it: Jasick, Jordan, Fife, David Carson, Scott, Bell, Pope, Campbell, Pechota, Simon, Noll, Collins…all of those names and hoards more put IPFW in the position they are today.

It has been fun to watch over the years. I really need to get myself over to the Gates Center and see more.

No comments: