Thursday, October 23, 2014

Fandom isn’t easy after 29 years of failure

Always looking for more I guess.

A couple of days ago when I posted my last blog, my best friend Danny Cruff commented on Facebook that he couldn’t wait to read the blog when the Kansas City Royals win the World Series.

And then game one happened and I cringed. I cringed for many reasons, but among them was the thought that there may not be a Royals blog anytime in the near future. And then game two happened and everything was even again. But this morning I thought about it and realized that it didn’t matter, it doesn’t matter, if the Kansas City Royals win the World Series — at least, not where writing a blog comes in.

Because a blog about the 2014 Kansas City Royals is not rooted in wins, or even losses for that matter.

See my friend Danny is a rare breed. Danny is a Kansas City Royals fan.

No, not some pop up out of the woodwork Royals fan; there are enough of those lately. Fair weather and all, you know.

No, not some guy just cheering for the Royals to win because his team is out or didn’t even make the playoffs. That is my role by the way.

Danny is a life-long, as I live and breath, hardcore, until death do us part Kansas City Royals fan. He about has more different Royals hats than I have fingers and toes. He doesn’t just worship the church of George Brett; he actually remembers that Johnny Damon was once a Royal. If you play a video game against him, he is the Royals. Both of his kids played t-ball on teams named the Royals. Really, with all due respect, who bleeds Kansas City Royals? Danny Cruff does.

See we all have our days or months or years with our favorite sports teams. But we are all also spoiled. I hated when my Boston Red Sox failed to make the postseason this year, but they were also just champions a year ago. I became a Red Sox fan in 2001 after visiting the city in high school. And while 2001 was in the midst of that great curse, I sure didn’t have to wait long for them to break it during my fandom. Also, in a not-so shocking turn of events (if you ever read this blog), I am a die-hard Duke Blue Devils fan. Being a Duke fan bring an inherent sadness even if we aren’t losing in the first round of the NCAA Tournament to a school you have never heard of before. The point is, at Duke, letdown is not winning the whole damn thing. In 22 years as a Duke fan, we have won 3 titles, a fourth was won just the year before that. I hate when Duke loses, but I am a fan through thick and thin. But again let’s face the facts: we are all spoiled. Duke’s “thin” is a lot of teams’ “success.” That isn’t bragging, it is just highlighting what makes this World Series, this Royals team so great to me.

Yes, they are awesome to watch. Their bullpen is strong, they are crushing the ball and their outfielders have made some insane highlight reel catches.
But this Royals team is great to me, cheer worthy to be because Danny Cruff is a fan. A real fan.

I can stand up and say “yes, I would support my team no matter what,” and I truly believe that. I am sure many of you believe that too, but would you?

Who, as die-hard sports fans, can say that you would watch your team fail…and sometimes fail badly for 29 straight years? So you are a Chicago Cubs fan and you can claim not winning a World Series in nearly a century? Well at least you’ve been to the playoffs in that time. I couldn’t even fathom a world where Duke would miss the NCAA Tournament, where the Red Sox would be held out of the playoffs for 29 years.

That is Danny Cruff’s life. Or it was.

This World Series may or may not end with a Royals title. Sometimes, that glass slipper just doesn’t fit Cinderella’s foot.

But there is meaning in this run that they have made. There is meaning in the fact that true, completely loyal fandom is fleeting. I have never seen someone as loyal to their team as Danny is to Kansas City. Fandom is easy amongst success. It is also easy amongst mediocrity. Fandom isn’t easy after 29 years of failure.

If you see me on game day during any of these playoffs, really almost any day that I have a hat on my head, you will notice it is royal blue with a KC emblazoned on the front of it. That isn’t because I am a Royals fan. That isn’t because I am a fair weather fan. I wear that hat proudly because I am a Danny Cruff fan; a fan of everything he represents.

Success is fleeting. Pride and optimism in its truest form is rare.

These Kansas City Royals, because of their on field play, have been an absolute blast to watch. But what has been better is watching the joy of my friend. He, above anyone else, deserves this.

No comments: