Wednesday, June 24, 2009

> Dear NBA, this is Ben Woodside

Dear NBA,

I am scouring the Mock Draft boards and I don't see his name. I'm looking, maybe he's listed under something different? But I don't see the phrase "Almost Upset Kansas," I don't see "Made Sherron Collins look like his bitch," I don't see "Best Low-to-Mid Major player in the country," and I don't even see "Captain Underrated."

So I certainly don't see "Ben Woodside."

Over four years, I saw Woodside patrol the court a handful of times against the local IPFW Mastodon team who have shared both Independent and Summit League affiliations with Woodside's North Dakota State. And no, I've never particularly been a fan of his. Then again, that may have been due to the fact that Woodside's skill and maturity (even in his freshman season) was just that far ahead of everyone else on the court. He never was flustered, never showed signs that he was worried about he or his fellow Bisons when they went the limit in this year's Summit League title game with Oakland. Instead, he calmly stepped up and knocked down a buzzer beating 15-footer to send the Bison to their first NCAA Tournament in their first year of tournament eligibility.

I watched him calmly put up 37 and almost beat Kansas in the opening round of that tournament. Oh yeah, he scored 60 in the 2008-2009 season against Stephen F. Austin.

So, why don't I see his name?

I think it's great that his home state Timberwolves and also the Oklahoma City Thunder have brought Woodside in for workouts, showing they aren't scared off by his 5'10'' frame. And yeah, he has worked out in front of representatives from the majority of teams in the league in camps this summer. But why in the hell is there not more interest in this kid?

The OKC is not going to take Woodside at number three, so unless they trade for a pick, that workout is pretty much for naught. Yes, Minnesota is the most logical, he's a homerun local pick with the 45th or 47th pick and I pray that is where Woodside goes as he can be very useful on a team looking for an identity with young players who need some peer guidance. Portland should be another team on the lookout for Woodside at 55 and 56 and what about Utah? I'm told by a friend with much more knowledge of that franchise that if Kyle Korver bolts, they may need another shooter so taking Woodside at 50 wouldn't be a stretch pending on who they take in the first round.

Either way this pans out, Woodside is going to get a shot this summer and there is little doubt in that. He will get a spot on a summer league roster, may get invited to camp and might even slip onto an opening day roster. But Ben Woodside deserves better. The second round is a crap shoot of longshots and ANYBODY could go ANYWHERE. So all I am saying is this: take Ben Woodside. It's not a request, not a plea, it's more like an order. Slip outside of VCU's Eric Maynor and find me a more poised, reliable, adult point guard who can also score off the dribble and I will tell you that you are lying.

Dear NBA, this is Ben Woodside. Get used to him, he's no joke.

No comments: