Friday, March 21, 2008

>College basketball's BIG tease

If NCAA Basketball can have its 'Cinderella', then it certainly can have its 'Star Wars: Episode 1' as well. AKA, a big buildup and great back story, only to be a massive disapointment.

I am pretty sure that Drake has just etched out its spot as the biggest tease in tournament history. And I thought Duke's performance last night left me wanting to stone myself to death.

In my mind, the Drake Bulldogs were Division I's greatest story this season and one of the best stories in sports period. And then, they lost to Western Kentucky. And then, suddenly Drake didn't matter anymore- back to old times I guess.

This isn't about messing up brackets, because they sure did that everywhere I am sure (so much for my Sweet 16 hopes). This is about proving that you really weren't that good to begin with. While better teams with (for some reason) less hype and relegated to lower seeds, here Drake is at a number-5 and losing in round one. It proves that while Coach Keno Davis did a masterful job taking a team ripe with ex-walkons and powering through the MVC, they just didn't have the stamina to hold up in the end.

Welcome to the NCAA Tournament Drake; welcome to sports.

A great season means nothing if you can't finish. And sadly, you guys never really even got started.

So what will Drake 2008 go down as? Simply a disapointment.

No comments: