Tuesday, March 11, 2008

>I do care about IPFW

Dear Readers, I'm sorry for being right.

I am sorry that I wrote a column in the March 5 edition of the IPFW Communicator that said that Oral Roberts would eliminate both the men and women basketball teams from the Summit League Tournament. I am sorry that both the men and women basketball teams were eliminated by Oral Roberts in the Summit League Tournament. I am sorry that I exercised my right to pen a column expressing my opinion.

In all seriousness, I do apologize if I offended Dane Fife, Chris Paul and/or any of their players. That was not my intention.

But any implication, true or not, that I do not support IPFW athletics is a joke. I have been covering IPFW sports for the past six years in some way or another for four different publications. I attend every home men's volleyball game, I have written about every sport during that time and I have attended more basketball games (men and women) then probably 97 percent of the student body at IPFW over that time. Oh yeah, I have also been trying to convince players I have coached (on the high school basketball level) to play at IPFW.

I value IPFW and what the department has accomplished probably as much as anyone who really doesn't have anything to do with the department first hand.

So if anybody thinks that I believe IPFW is a joke. You are wrong.

But I was honest when I said that the chances for IPFW basketball, either gender, to get by Oral Roberts were not good. I thought the chances were low and yes, both teams lost to the Golden Eagles. Does that mean I was cheering against the Mastodons?

I am sorry for any offense taken. But I will not apologize for expressing my personal, professional and educated opinion of what events would transpire. So understand, when I say "better luck next year IPFW," it is not out of cynical spite. I mean it and I always stand by the Mastodons.

So don't second guess me.

No comments: